Session 2: Managing the Colony Sunday April 2, 9:00 am – 12:00 pm.
Instructors; Louis Zurlo and Dave Watson, Sacramento Area Beekeeper Association. Max Enrollment: 15 $60.00
SABA Beginning Beekeeping Classes
Interested in Beekeeping? Come learn with the Sacramento Area Beekeepers Association (SABA). SABA is offering series of classes designed for beginning beekeepers. The 4 course series follows the typical beekeeping season with Session 1 Beekeeping Basics 2/19/23; Session 2 (this class is offered twice due to popularity- sign up for only one date) Managing the Colony 4/2/23 and 4/23/23; Session 3 Bee Health and Summer Beekeeping 6/11/22; Session 4 Preparing for Winter and Honey Extraction Basics 8/20/22. Classes are $60 each.
Session 2: Managing the Colony
- Spring build-up
- Managing the colony
- Signs of swarms
- Lighting and using a smoker
- Opening and inspecting hives
- What am I seeing in this hive? What am I looking for?
Date/Time: Sunday April 2, 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
Location: Sacramento County Ag Office 4137 Branch Center Road, Sacramento CA 95827
Instructor: Louis Zurlo and Dave Watson
- Please bring your Beekeeping suits or veils.
- SABA classes work with honey bees. Honey bees are stinging insects, and while most stings do not require immediate medical attention, a small portion of the population can develop a life-threatening allergy. When working in the hives you will need to wear closed toe and closed heel shoes, long pants and a long sleeve shirt. If you don’t have/or bring protective gear, a hat and veil will be available for your use during the class. If stung, immediately remove the stinger by scraping it off and wash the area to reduce the alarm pheromone. If you experience shortness of breath, dizziness, nausea or any other serious symptoms, immediately seek medical attention.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I have to be a SABA member to enroll in classes? The Beginning Beekeeping class series is open to members and non-members. Intermediate courses are open to SABA members only.
- Are refunds available if I am unable to attend a class? SABA classes are offered at a low price and refunds are not issued.
Class Coordinator Lisa Romero, [email protected]